This is an amazing ice cream—light, refreshing and delicious! It is very simple to make and takes about 10 minutes to prepare and another 20 minutes in the ice cream freezer. I got this recipe from my friend, Cindy Segawa 30 years ago.
3 Lemons (juice only)
3 Oranges (juice only)
2 quarts Half & Half
3 cups sugar
Squeeze the oranges and lemons.
Combine the juice of the oranges and the lemons and the mashed bananas, the Half & Half and the sugar in a blender.
Blend until smooth.
Put in an ice cream maker and freeze as directed.
Some Tips for you and your Kids:
1. Involve your kids–they can squeeze the lemons and the oranges and they can mash the bananas.
2. Purchase one of the old fashioned ice cream makers–the ones that require ice and rock salt. You can find these at Sears or J.C. Penny. First, the ice cream turns out better and second your kids can watch the whole process. I have a Hamilton Beach and an Aroma brand–love them both!
3. The Half & Half–you can purchase this at Costco under the organic brand: Horizons
4. Sugar–use the organic sugar found at Costco
5. One more thing–-store-bought ice cream is nothing more than synthetic chemicals. Did you know that there are so many synthetic ingredients in ice cream that by law the ice cream makers are not required to put all the ingredients on the label? If they did, there would not be any room for any other words. I’m serious. Dump that stuff and start making your own–plus it is a fun family tradition!
Tomorrow I will be posting my recipe for chocolate chip cookies–they go amazingly well with this ice cream.